Monday, July 22, 2013

Cardinal Tavern

I wanted my first post about Baltimore to be one that will not only introduce readers to something new, but also be about a place that I truly love.  It was a very easy decision for me to choose Cardinal Tavern as that place!  If you know me personally you know that I am absolutely in love with this little corner bar which is located on the corner of Hudson and Clinton street in Canton.



When most people think of going out to a bar in Canton they immediately think of The Square.  A lot of people overlook the corner bars because they have the stigma of being dive bars.  The Cardinal Tavern however is far from a dive.  The owners, Larry and Gail, have put a lot of effort into making sure the Cardinal isn't your run of the mill corner bar.  When you walk into the Cardinal the first thing you notice is how unique the interior of the bar is.  The Cardinal has a beautiful rustic look with exposed beams and brick, oak barrels, a retro jukebox, and gorgeous wood floors.  Oh, did I mention that this is also one of the cleanest bars you will find in Baltimore?



Once you have taken in the decor and take your seat at the bar you will notice the huge liquor selection.  I especially love the whisky selection (obviously being a southern girl).  I still haven't found a better whisky selection since I have moved to Baltimore, and frankly I don't feel the need to look elsewhere anyway.  My personal favorite is the Whisky Girl which has Bullet Rye, blackberry liqueur, soda water, and lemon.  If you are having a hard time deciding on a drink to order don't hesitate to ask your bartender.  I promise they will be more than happy to help you out; they might even introduce you to a drink you're never heard of before.  Here is a video of Alex making his signature drink, the Tawny Sadler (it was delicious!).


Below is a picture of the ingredients and the finished product.

  


The service at the Cardinal is honestly one of the main reasons that I love the bar so much.  If it's your first time visiting the Cardinal the first thing the bartender will do is introduce themselves to you.  They want to get to know your name (your tab won't be named "girl sitting by taps") and the next time you come in they will remember you.  The owners are also there on a regular basis getting to know customers or even getting behind the bar to work a shift.  You can see how much pride Larry and Gail take in this bar just by how involved they are at the bar and how much thought goes into every single detail.

So the next time you are looking for a new place to try out, or you're visiting Baltimore and want to check out a place that isn't a tourist trap; stop by the Cardinal Tavern.  I promise that no matter what you're craving Alex, Chris, Lacey, Megan, Larry, or Gail will take care of you.  Don't forget to let them know that Megan of My Charmed City Life sent you (maybe I'll even run into you there)!



Note:  The Cardinal doesn't have food yet but it is coming!  If you're hungry make sure to ask for their menu book and you can choose from one of the many food delivery places in the area; they will deliver right to your bar stool (no kidding).


Cardinal Tavern
901 S. Clinton Street
Baltimore, MD 21224
Mon - Fri : 4:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Sat. and Sun : Noon - 2:00 AM






2 comments:

  1. Love this blog! You did a great job and the drink looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the kind words. I look forward to reading your future features on this blog. Best of luck!
    Larry

    ReplyDelete